Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF) are campus-wide laboratories that develop and provide state-of-the-art scientific resources to enable biomedical research.
The BRCF was formed in 1986, offering centralized access to research services, shared equipment and the expertise of biomedical researchers/investigators to support research projects. Our mission is that we believe in serving you, advancing health, and paving the way for great discoveries in biomedical research at the University of Michigan and beyond.
Our Cores Include:
- Advanced Genomics Core
- Bioinformatics Core
- Biomedical Research Store
- Epigenomics Core
- Flow Cytometry Core
- Metabolomics Core
- Microscopy Core
- Proteomics & Peptide Synthesis Core
- Transgenic Animal Model Core
- Vector Core
Core Facilities aim to ensure centralized access to some of the latest instrumentation and services for investigators, avoiding the duplication of institutional expense and effort. Core instrumentation is regularly being upgraded to keep pace with the rapid advance in biomedical research. Cores have highly trained staff to carry out investigator projects, as well as access to workshops and training opportunities, increasing efficiency and quality control in coordinating services for multiple users. We are a fee-for-service provider, offering these services at a reasonable cost.
The BRCF uses MiCores as a single portal for investigators to request services from core facilities. MiCores is a scheduling, billing and reporting system that is fully integrated into the University of Michigan financial system. From the initial request through billing to data reporting and performance metrics, both internal and external clients have access to MiCores.
BRCF Advisory Committee
The BRCF Advisory Committee is responsible for assessing the scientific direction and research impact of current and possible BRCF Cores, and evaluating the prioritization of Cores within the strategic research mission. Recommendations are to be made to the Senior Associate Dean for Research.
- Cassandra Wong, Director, Biomedical Research Core Facilities
- Peter Hitchcock, Ph.D., Professor, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences; Professor, Cell and Developmental Biology
- Karl Jepsen, Ph.D., Professor, Associate Chair of Research, Glancy Family Scholar, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Sundeep Kalantry, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Human Genetics
- Evan Keller, DVM, Ph.D., Professor of Urology, Professor of Pathology and Associate Professor of Comparative Pathology, Department of Laboratory Animal Medicine
- Ron Koenig, M.D., Ph.D., Professor, Internal Medicine; Director, Medical Scientist Training School
- David Kohn, M.S.E., Ph.D., Professor, Dentistry, Department of Biologic and Materials Science, School of Dentistry; Professor, Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Ben Margolis, M.D., Professor, Biological Chemistry Department; Professor, Internal Medicine Department
- Miriam Meisler, Ph.D., Professor, Human Genetics Department
- Martin Myers, M.D., Ph.D., Marilyn H Vincent Professor, Diabetes Research; Associate Professor, Internal Medicine; Associate Professor, Molecular and Integrative Physiology
- Alnawaz Rehemtulla, Ph.D., Ruth Tuttle Freeman Research Professor of Radiation Oncology, Professor of Radiation Oncology and Professor of Radiology
Core Facility Leadership
- David Adams, M.S.Ed., Managing Director, Flow Cytometry Core
- Anitha Chennat, M.B.A., Associate Director, Biomedical Research Core Facilities
- Chris Gates, M.S., Managing Director, Bioinformatics Core
- Maureen Kachman, Ph.D., Managing Director, Metabolomics Core
- Olivia Koues, Ph.D., Managing Director, Advanced Genomics Core
- Claudia Lalancette, Ph.D., Managing Director, Epigenomics Core
- Thomas Lanigan, Ph.D., Director, Vector Core
- Henriette Remmer, Ph.D., Director, Proteomics and Peptide Synthesis Core
- Thomas Saunders, Ph.D., Director, Transgenic Animal Model Core
- Carrie Schray, Business Manager, Biomedical Research Core Facilities
- Christina Stilson, Manager, Biomedical Research Store
- Julie Power, Administrative Specialist, Biomedical Research Core Facilities